With commencement 2017 only a few weeks away, the Cahill Career Development Center wants to help graduates with their post-graduation dreams whether they are seeking to land their first job, heading to graduate/professional school, taking a gap year or just figuring out what they want to do next.
How can the Cahill Career Development Center prepare for life after graduation?
· Career Advisement – Discuss career options, questions and concerns to maximize students’ educational and experiential opportunities.
· Resume/Curriculum Vitae – Attend workshops or schedule an individual appointment to help with job search tools such as a resume/C.V.
· Cover Letters – Develop and edit targeted cover letters for applying to jobs.
· Interview Skills – Prepare and practice for interview success. Mock interviews are offered in-person or online through InterviewStream.
· LinkedIn – Learn LinkedIn basics and get assistance writing a LinkedIn profile. A LinkedIn studio is available in C-209 where students can take a professional profile picture.
· The Archway – Access job listings posted specifically for Ramapo students and alumni, schedule appointments with a career advisor and register for upcoming workshops and programs.
· Career Insider/Vault – This free service, offered through the Archway for Ramapo students, provides free access to job boards, industry information and company research. The site offers industry specific career advice and resources to help navigate the job exploration and search process.
Career Advisors recommend using caution with online presence; 80 percent of recruiters check candidates’ social media accounts before making job offers. It is recommended that students Google themselves to see what comes up. Keep social media profiles private. Someone’s online persona will shape opinions and perceptions of a candidate, personally and professionally.
Remember the adage, “It’s not just what you know, but who you know?” Networking is critical for today’s job seeker. Keep in contact with classmates, professors, coaches and administrators who contributed to the Ramapo experience. Many can be potential references and connect students with others who can assist with the job search or graduate/professional school journey.
Finally, it is also important to note, Ramapo alumni are always welcome back to use the services offered by the Cahill Center.
“Once a Roadrunner, always a Roadrunner. Alumni continue to use our services to assist during the different stages of their professional journey,” says Nicole Videla, assistant director/career advisor.